Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Ivanka Trump: Family Leave Champion? Uh, no...


A former Ivanka Trump employee talks about maternity leave. Family friendly?
 
Well, Ivanka went back to work ONE WEEK after having her first child!  Who needs family leave anyway? (snark)



Found on 
Facebook, posted by Facebook user Marissa Velez Kraxberger:


I have tried to abstain from writing anything amidst this terrifying political brawl that relates to my past employer, but when I recently saw a commercial with Ivanka and her father and their "maternity leave" policy I felt like I was going to be ill. 
When I first interviewed with Ivanka I was 2 months pregnant; she called to offer me a job, which I was at the time very excited about, and when I asked about maternity leave she said she would have to think about it, that at Trump they don't offer maternity leave and that she went back to work just a week after having her first child. 
I somehow was dumb enough to accept the job after agreeing upon having the discussion further down the road about how we would handle the time after my baby was born. Our team--the ones who created #WomenWhoWork and the ones who the hashtag really stood for--fought long and hard to get her to finally agree to 8 weeks paid maternity leave. 
I'm not writing this because I think Ivanka is a bad person. I can see how it might be possible to go back to work after having a baby when you have a lot of help at home.  I think she suffered by not staying home longer with her kids when she could have. I am however saying that if you truly support parenting and children then you actually have to support it fully... and that also means supporting maternity leave for adopted children and paternity leave as well. How can she claim that their maternity policy is a comprehensive solution for our country? 
The company and the #WomenWhoWork platform we created was meant to inspire and encourage women to work at all aspects of their lives and live the lives they wanted to live, but before our eyes she took the platform and made it all about herself... and now it's being dragged along side of this man who could potentially be the face of our country. A man who puts down women and makes lewd comments, a man who is an outspoken rascist, a man with no real vision for our future just scare tactics and threats. I'm not only saddened by the state of our nation, but mostly by the fact that our kids foundational years in school, where they learn about our nation's history, could be under the leadership of this man. 
Regarding #WomenWhoWork, I am still proud of the work that we did and the message we created. It is not about Ivanka, it is about all the women we know working hard everyday to live the life they want. Whether they are stay at home moms, business executives, teachers, entrepreneurs or students deciding on what their futures hold, know that #WomenWhoWork is about these women--all of you. 
We, as women, need to rise and have a voice against this man and all that he stands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...