Are you better off than you were four years ago?
From FB friend Leslie C in answer to the question about whether or not you are better off than you were in January 2009:|
Four years ago we were losing 750k jobs a month.Now we're not.
We had 2 wars going.Now we don't.
We didn't know where Bin Laden was.Now we do.
Health insurance rates were growing at a blistering pace.Now they're not.
Health insurance was not available to people with pre-existing conditions.Now it is.The DOW was at 6000.Now it's at 13,000.
Four years ago, our economy was contracting.Now it's not.
Our manufacturing sector was losing hundreds of thousands of jobs a year.Now it's not.
Are you better off now?
You're damned right you are."
A few more thoughts when people complain about Obama:
This is a president who:
- Passed a health-care reform breakthrough 100 years in the making.
- He also imposed the most sweeping Wall Street reforms since the Great Depression.
- Obama also rescued the economy from collapse,
- He rescued the American auto industry,
- He ended the war in Iraq, decimated al Qaeda and killed bin Laden,
- He reformed the student loan system,
- He ended "Don't Ask, Don't Tell,"
- He vastly improved fuel efficiency standards,
- He helped topple the Gaddafi regime,
- He negotiated the New START treaty,
- He improved food safety protections,
- He cracked down on credit card company abuses,
- He expanded stem-cell research,
- He signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
Republicans disapprove of these measures, as is their right. But to say the president "has no record to run on" is kind of silly, even by Paul Ryan standards."